Friday, July 1, 2011

Thing # 18 - Social Networking?

So.....I'm now on Facebook! My first task was to look up all my family and invite them to join me. Getting registered and setting up my home page was not a quick 10 minute chore. I just spent about 2 hours, and still have more to do.

I think understanding how social networks operate is important because this technology is totally engrained in the students daily routines. It is so much a part of their lives. When an educator can share this technology with his/her students it allows the educator onto the student's 'turf'. Then the technology can be incorporated into the learning process.

I haven't yet been convenienced that twitter needs to be involved in the educational process. I suppose having a teacher that can tweet to his class gives him direct communication (constantly). I'm just not sure I would utilize this very frequently.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Rick, I'm agreeing with you on the applicability of Twitter in the classroom. I don't even see the need for Facebook when we have blogs and WIKIS. I am sure I am not very knowledgeable on either Twitter or FB, but to me, they seem to personal to use in the classroom.