Since I am familiar with Picasa and aware of the google calendar, I choose to investigate Google Alerts and iGoogle. Both sounded pretty cool.
Google Alerts - monitoring the Web for selected content. I choose to monitor the topic of earthquakes on a daily basis. Rather than being bothered by all references to earthquakes, I selected the 'only the best results' pick, which means the topic will be monitored for worthy, daily news items dealing with earthquakes.
In this site it is very simple to set-up and delete searches. This is probably the easiest site to manage that I have been to today!
In iGoogle, the main panel has picks for spell checker, date & time, YouTube, weather, and CNN.com. You also have chat options, and links to email for all of your email contacts (only if you have a gmail account).
The calendar and iGoogle would have utility for a classroom, but I think to one tool that would be most useful in a high school science class would be the Google Alerts. If your class is monitoring a specific scientific phenomena, then this tool will alert you when anything is observed or reported by the media.
I didn't realize that Google was so intertwined into the www system.
No comments:
Post a Comment