Monday, June 27, 2011

Thing #15

Discovery Exercise:
1. What a world of wikis! Everything you always wanted to know....and more. And you can even add your knowledge to the discussion. That makes it a collaborative site. So, thanks to Dr. Jerles I now know that wiki is an acronym for 'what i know is', that's something I did not know! Wiki also means 'quick' in Hawaiian. I've long used Wikipedia with the understanding that it's probably not a source that you would want to use for a reference in scientific research, but it still has a lot of useful information.
Wikis can be used in the class setting to make collaborative projects. For instance, if you taught 4 physical science classes and were working on a joint project to make the school more environmentally aware, they could use a wiki to plan, review, and execute a school-wide program for recycling, reducing, and reusing materials. Everyone could take part, dividing individual classes in to groups with assigned responsibilities and reporting methods. The wiki will have multiple uses whenever collaboration in needed on projects.
2. I posted my bubbl.us chart onto APSU 23 Things Sandbox wiki. I choose not to just post from my blog but edited a short note and posted a jpeg from my scavenger hunt. It took a while to determine how to post jpeg files, but it's all good now.

No comments: