In some respects, I have always been a lifelong learner. After completing a master's degree in geology and gaining employment in the petroleum industry I frequently enrolled in training opportunities. In fact, I attended every training opportunity that my employer would allow. After accepting early retirement, I decided to build my own home (for retirement). I began looking at homes that were under construction and reviewing blueprints and plans. After selecting a floor plan and preparing a location, I proceeded to build the home. At my current work in the APSU Geosciences Department, I recently determined that a large volume of maps and charts are being published and distributed in a GIS-format, so I registered for, and completed a GIS training program. Now, with a desire to teach high school science, I am embarking on another educational program which will allow me to continue a second career in education.
The video of 'Seven and 1/2 Highly Successful Lifelong Learners' while simple in approach, is very enlightening and had good direction. To me, the easiest habit is to accept responsibility for your own learning. Since leaving home at the age of 18, I have been totally independent and have always taken responsibility for my actions as well as my direction in life. I know that my education is an investment in my future that no one else can make. The most difficult habit for me is that of using technology to my advantage. I've always taken advantage of the technology required for my job, and have typically been very proficient in that technology. However, the current pace of technlological development is quickly overtaking my ability to remain current. I have never experienced twitter, facebook or blog (until now), nor used MP3 players or I-Pads. I guess that will be my next quest as I work toward overcoming this most difficult of the 7 1/2 Habits.
No comments:
Post a Comment