Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thing 5 - Perspectives on web 2.0

The concept of Web 2.0 is new to me, a whole dimension that I have been (happily) blind to, although I use the www on a daily basis. In studying the course information about Web 2.0, I was impressed with Mr. MacManus' summary where he explained that 'so many people are now creating and building on the web'. I've never considered the Web as a platform that could be used for so many basic purposes (especially on the individual level) such as sharing information and data, business, communication, education and music. I've only recently begun hearing the term 'park it in the clouds', and now a light is coming on for me! I'm one of those guys who keeps everything on my c-drive and have it backed up on a flash drive. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Most of the new technology that I am being introduced to in the EDUC5540 class is associated with Web 2.0. I have so far to go....and so little time.

The resources available on the web are truly astounding. Information on every imaginable topic and at appropriate levels for any student. The Tech & Learning site is loaded with information and tips for educators. I liked their 'site of the day' today which had a topic and exercise dealing with prehistoric climate change. It allows students to determine ancient climates based on evaluation of fossil plants, and then has a video that discusses why this is important to us today.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I have not spent much time on the tech and learning site so I will have to check that out. It doesn't take long in the classroom to know that you can use some hints from those with more experience. That is what excites me so much about Web 2.0. You have constant access to tons of new ideas.